The Newton SEPAC runs committees and working groups, each focused on specific areas of need or interest. Members are welcome to join at any time! Just email firstname.lastname@example.org for more information about how to join an existing committee or working group, or if you have an idea for creating a new one.
Transition Working Group
The “Big T” Transition Working Group focuses on supporting families of students with disabilities who are moving from high school or transition programming into early adulthood and beyond the support of the K-12 system.
Discussion topics have included:
– Post-high school education, such as traditional college, college programing for students with disabilities, career and vocational training.
– Alternative pathway for young adults to reach their goals of employment and an independent life through job skills development and internship/employment opportunities
– Programming for adult services to enhance opportunities for adults with disabilities to become fully engaged members of their community
– The application process for federal benefits, such as Supplemental Security Income (SSI) and Disability Insurance Benefits (DIB), as well as programming offered by the State through the Massachusetts Rehabilitation Commission (MRC) and the Department of Developmental Services (DDS)
– Options for housing
– Recreational and social opportunities for young adults
– Life skills development
Contact email@example.com for questions, or to join the Transition Working Group!
Chair – Suzanne Buchko
Committee Member – Kim Gallaugher
SEPAC Awards Committee
At the end of each school year, the SEPAC strives to acknowledge the hard work and dedication exhibited by our extraordinary NPS staff in supporting our students with special needs. The SEPAC collects nominations from parents and families for specific staff members, and we organize letters of recognition and publish public notices highlighting the excellent work and important contributions that these individuals make in students’ lives. In years past, we have held an Awards Ceremony, where leadership, families, fellow staff, and other community members have gathered to celebrate award recipients. This year, we will hold our Awards Ceremony virtually, and we welcome ideas and assistance in making this another successful event!
Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for questions, or to join the Awards Committee.
Chair – Eliza Spaulding
Committee Members – Kim Bourdeau, Suzanne Buchko, Jessi Champion, Erin Kelly-Makol, Jenny Klein-Sosa